Join, Renew, or just Contribute to Friends of Red Rock Canyon
Click on the link above to make a secure contribution to Friends of Red Rock Canyon via Paypal. Your generous contributions enable us to continue our conservation efforts in our beloved Open Space. Thank you for your gift.
Highlights from February 2019 Board of Directors’ Meeting
Lost and found items can be claimed at the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Office at 1401 Recreation Way.
Bristol Karma Hour will be April 9 at Bristol Brewery.
Red Rock Canyon Bio Blitz will be July 19-21.
Six new TOPS rangers have been hired and started work Feb 25.
Possible trail building days with Medicine Wheel on a new/re-route of the north end of the ridge trail.
Several News Updates – Jan 2019
Aaron Rodgers from the Trails and Open Space Coalition (TOSC) visited with your Board of Directors recently and offered a multitude of services to our Friends’ group, to include help with social media, promoting events in the park and other assistance we might require. We discussed bilateral communication as an important aspect of our relationship with TOSC. Thanks to Aaron and TOSC for their support.
Britt Haley, City of Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Parks Development Manager and TOPS Program Manager also visited with your Board and provided some interesting updates for us.
- The City made its final payment for Red Rock Canyon Open Space in 2018. It’s ours!
- The City will conduct a “Bio Blitz” during May-June time frame this summer. This will involve about 18 scientists and numerous volunteers to conduct an inventory of wildlife over a twenty-four hour period
- The Parks Department has acquired funding for six new park rangers which will greatly improve our services
- A Trail Development Specialist is a new position the City is seeking to fill to improve our trail systems
- 17,000 cubic yards of fill from Camp Creek will be used to fill the old dam that collapsed
- Land fill repairs are being scheduled to repair fissures
Stay tuned for more updates as they occur!
We attempt to keep our users informed about activities in the park, both good and bad. Unfortunately we must report some recent vandalism in Red Rock Canyon Open Space.
The Board of Directors of our Friends Group devoted an evening in July to closing off a rogue trail by installing fencing, a sign and putting large rocks in the trail. The trail was closed because among other reasons, it is very close to a sensitive geological area. The fences have been taken apart (since repaired twice) and the trail reopened by vandals. There has also been graffiti placed on some of our rock climbing walls (since removed) and physical deformities etched in the rock.
As stewards of this open space, the Friends of Red Rock Canyon implore all users to respect our park and to contact us or the city’s Parks Department to help with this problem. If you see something, say something!
October Board Meeting
Please join us and meet our board members at our next Board meeting. We will meet at 6:30 pm on October 8, 2018 at the West Side Community Center. Stay up to date with our interactions with the TOPS Working Committee and the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, new trails updates and other cool stuff!